Android Developers Blog
The latest Android and Google Play news for app and game developers.
🔍
Platform Android Studio Google Play Jetpack Kotlin Docs News

30 March 2009

Developer News


Link copied to clipboard

For no particular reason other than to celebrate this particular Monday, I wanted to update developers on two Android-related news items.

If you're a developer who will be in the San Francisco Bay Area at the end of May, I hope you'll join us at the 2009 Google I/O developer conference. You might have already seen the sessions we had listed for Android, but today I'm quite pleased to let you know that we've added a few more Android-related sessions. You can find the full list plus abstracts on the Google I/O site, but here are the titles:

  • Turbo-Charge Your UI: How to Make Your Android UI Fast and Efficient
  • Pixel-Perfect Code: How to Marry Interaction and Visual Design the Android Way
  • Supporting Multiple Devices with One Binary
  • Debugging Arts of the Ninja Masters
  • Coding for Life—Battery Life, That Is
  • Writing Real-Time Games for Android
  • Android Lightning Talks

These sessions don't even include the "fireside chat" with the Core Technical Team that we have planned. We're working on still more sessions too; keep an ear to the ground on this blog and the Google I/O site for the latest info. I'm pretty excited about how the Android sessions for Google I/O are coming together. I think it's going to be a great event, and I hope to meet many of you there.

The other topic I want to mention is that our partners at HTC have uploaded a new system image for Android Dev Phone 1 owners. This new image is mostly the same as the one we mentioned earlier this month, but adds voice dialing. Note that not all features will work correctly in all countries, such as voice dialing and Google Voice Search which currently only work well for US English. Additionally, there are some features that we aren't able to make available at all in some countries. For instance, this build can't currently include Google Latitude due to privacy standards in some regions. We'll always keep the ADP1 builds as full-featured as we can, but it's important to remember that these devices are primarily intended for development, and won't necessarily have all the features included on mainstream builds.

I hope this news is useful to you. As always, happy coding!